Our History

In September 2014 the 2 year restoration of Biggs Mansion was completed. With over $4 million dollars spent and absolutely no cost spared, real estate developer and current owner Fred Latsko converted the previously known IL Mulino restaurant into Chicago’s finest cigar emporium and lounge.

Fred Latsko
Current Owner of Biggs Cigar Mansion

Biggs Historic mansion originally belonged to banker and Northern Trust company co-founder John DeKoven, the namesake of DeKoven Street on the Near West Side, where the Great Chicago Fire began and the Quinn Fire Academy now stands.
DeKoven commissioned prominent architect Edward Burling to design the mansion, which was completed in 1874, three years after the Great Chicago Fire.
The DeKovens held lavish dinner parties that made the society pages for the next 25 years. DeKoven died in the home in 1898. Nearly half a century later, the mansion was resurrected as a private dining room by society caterer Joseph H. Biggs, and opened to the general public as Biggs Restaurant in 1964.
Biggs remained in the mansion for nearly 40 years, before being supplanted by IL Mulino.